Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Top 10 Game Or Other Reasons To Self Medicate

The Top 10 Game Or Other Reasons To Self Medicate

We love lists. We love to put things in order. We love playing games. What's better than to combine them!

Ever play the game "Top 10"? Come on everyone has, whether it's "Top 10 Albums Of All Time", "Top 10 Greatest Guitarists". "Top 10 Bands Of All Time", "Top 10 Concerts You Saw", "Top 10 Desert Island Albums", etc, etc and I am no exception. Heck, your probably doing it right now in your head while your reading this.

I particularly love the last one "Top 10 Desert Island Albums". Who is one the island with me, the Professor on Gilligans Island? Who is going to build my turntable from palm tree bark and supply the electricity for it? I know I can't. I know after a week on this desert island I'll be like Tom Hanks in that movie Castaway. I'll be drawing faces on rocks and talking to them let alone building a home theater. (there I go again rambling on another road not taken, okay on to the real subject)

On Facebook there is several of these list games going around including new one "The 5 Albums That Shaped Me". Five Albums!. That's it... What happened to Top 10? I need at least 5 albums for each year of my life let alone 5 total.

Okay I get it. I'l figure this out. I got to make 5 work for me.

How do I fit in the Monkees when I was a kid. Do I put them next to Paranoid by Black Sabbath in my pre-teens. How does that fit into Dark Side Of The Moon in my teens or Carolina Dreams by Marshall Tucker in college? Oh my god....If I pick them I only have one spot left!!!! How do I leave out Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye (that helped make the man I am today, yeaaa) or Stage Pass by MSB one of my all time favorites that I have bought at least 6 copies of over the years or Sgt Peppers that even though I really discovered it a few years later than it came out really expanded my mind. Speaking of expanding my mind, how about any of the Grateful Dead albums, they certainly expanded my mind or at least messed with it thru the 70's.

I'm in a quandary here people!!!!!

Do I leave out Born to Run that brought out the rebel in me during those formative years. How about Texas Flood that brought me to the texas style of blues I was missing or Layla that threw me headfirst into the love affair of rock and blues together. How about Hotel California, Highway 61 Revisted, Disraeli Gears, Music From Big Pink, Ziggy Stardust, Trick Of The Tail ? How do I leave them out...

Deep breath Bear, relax you can get thru this....

Where do I fit in the music I listen to now like Once Again by John Legend, Corrine Bailey Rae, Colbie Caillat, as well as Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Les Claypool. These are all still shaping me even at my advanced age.

Where do I fit in country music. I really got into it heavily like almost everyone else in the 90's. Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith to name a few have a least one album that helped make me into what I am. I've been listening to Willie Nelson for over 40 years, I think he has at least one, maybe Red Headed Stranger?

But do I give it one of those precious five spots......

How about Dean and Frank and Miles?



What about my love of Motown? Oh my........ The Four Tops, Temptations, Smokey, The Supremes. I've been listening to them since the 60's they had to help make me....but what do I do!

Bob Marley "Legend" okay it definitely has to be there but what do I give up on my list?

My head is spinning, I don't know if I can take this test!!! Will they still love me on Facebook....

I know, I'm going to do something easier. I'm going to try day trading in the stock market. It can't be this complicated.

I got to get some asprin.

Nuff said, at least till next week
Peace Out
Bear

0 comments: