Monday, May 4, 2009

Springtime In Cleveland

This is the story I was writing when I came down with pneumonia last week but it still resonates with our weather around here.

Ahhh, springtime in Cleveland. Where else can it be 85 and sunny on Friday when you’re wearing shorts and a t-shirt for the first time in almost a year and 42 and possible snow on Sunday. That’s why we go crazy when the first great spring day hits us and that’s what happened to me on last Friday.

It was beautiful that Friday, sunny and warm, almost tropical breezes coming across the yard. I went out and finally pulled the Adirondack chairs out of the barn and set up for a night to just sit out relax and enjoy the evening, just me and Mrs. Bear.

After mixing a HUGE pitcher of margaritas, cutting the limes, getting the bucket of ice ready, the important thing still had to be done.

I had to come up with the music. The music on a night like this is one of the most important elements of a great night; it can make or break it. This play list has to be songs that not only do you sit back and enjoy with a HUGE, margarita but pop the disk out and put it in the Jeep with the top down for a drive. Unlike other “summer mix tapes” I have read, I don’t feel you have to have every song that has “Summer” in its title. My CD has to have the songs that make me feel good, that I want to listen over and over

So with that in mind here is the play list I put together and basically how the night went. Hunny can you pass the limes!

1. “Domino – Van Morrison” – This song just plain reminds me of summer. The beat and Van’s voice says “shake off the winter blues and get on with it”. Great tune for driving with the top down, let’s go for a ride.

2. “Two Lane Highway – Pure Prairie League” – If I’m already driving with the top down, I should definitely do it on a two lane highway. Okay I know the wind is blowing your hair. We’ll go home and sit in our chairs.

3. “Happy – Rolling Stones” – As my readers know I’m not a big Stones fan but I love this song. Keith’s vocals just make this song and I think he might have had a tequila or two in his prime, or even today.

Ahh, time for a refill. Hunny can you pass me the ice

4. “I Think We’re Alone Now – Tommy James & The Shondells” – This is just one of those songs that over time I’ve got buried in my psyche. Great beat and you got to love those lyrics. Tell me it doesn’t take you back. Heh, hunny you want to go and check out the inside of the barn, No, oh okay.........you sure?.

5. “Interstate Love Song – Stone Temple Pilots” – Does this song not have one of the best openings ever!

6. “Keep On Running – Spencer Davis Group” – Can you believe Steve Winwood was only 17! Com’n no one should be that talented that young. Who does he think he is, an American Idol finalist!

7. “Houses Of The Holy – Led Zeppelin” – My favorite Zeppelin song. Got to have Zeppelin…

I once heard a story they never played “Houses Of The Holy” live, strange since the song is about playing in stadiums. Hmmmm, thinking too much. Hunny pass me the pitcher. Thanks hun

8. “Little Wing – Stevie Ray Vaughan” – In my opinion the best version of the greatest guitar song ever written. Just lay back and close your eyes and enjoy. What a loss

9. “Dirty Work – Steely Dan” – Man I love this song. The only Steely Dan song not sung by Donald Fagen. I wish there was more

10. “Starman – David Bowie” – Didn’t know what time it was the lights were low ow ow, I leanned back on my radio o o. Man, I love this song. What was that hun. I said that about the last one. Ohh, but man I love this song.

Hun, can you pass the pitcher, what do mean it’s empty? How many did you have? One! How can that be. Hold on I’ll go mix another one

11. “Once Bitten, Twice Shy – Ian Hunter” – Every time I hear this, it reminds me of getting in so much trouble in the 70’s. It seemed this 8-track was always on in our cars. Is that smile on my face from remembering those times or the tequila today?

12. “Could You Be Loved – Bob Marley” – Marley, even his name sounds like a party. What’s better with Marley than margaritas, ahhhhh….I’ll be back in a minute.

13. “Hey Tonight – Creedence Clearwater Revival” – The party always picks up with this song. John’s raspy voice usually is drowned out by the partiers. Wait that’s me.

What’s that, can I stop singing? Oh okay, is there anymore ice in the bucket? Heyyyyyy, tonightttttttt. Okay I’ll stop now

14. “Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) – Kenny Rogers” – Were on the Big Lebowski trip now. First Hey Tonight, now Just Dropped In. The Dude would be proud except I don’t have any White Russians, think he’ll drink a margarita?

15. “Pour Some Sugar On Me – Def Leppard” – The ultimate stripper song. What’s that hunny, what do I know about strippers? Ahhhh, nothing. I just heard that from someone, no firsthand knowledge here….Let me refresh your drink for you….

16. “Got To Give It Up (Part 1) – Marvin Gaye” – Now I want to get up and dance. Ohh not a good idea. Maybe another sip will help me get my balance. I think the best scene from a movie was when this played in Barbershop and everyone in the city was dancing to it. Okay maybe I’ll just move my head back and forth.

17. “Rosalia (Come Out Tonight) – Bruce Springsteen” – The Boss! Just what we needed. Com’n hun help me out of the chair. Let’s dance.

You don’t want to dance, okay pass me the pitcher please

18. “On A Carousel – Shaw Blades” – I know, I know. The Hollies did this song, but I like this version so much better.

19. “And Your Bird Can Sing – The Beatles” – Ohhh man, another great song. I once heard Jimmie Vinino say this is one of the hardest Beatles songs to play. Where’s my guitar hunny

20. “Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison” – We started with Van The Man and ended the night with probably the ultimate summer song.

Well, the songs are over, the margaritas are gone, the stars are shinning. Time to call it a night.

Hunny, will you help me out of the chair…

Hunny, where you going?

Hunny….

Hun…

Help,

anyone there……………….

Nuh said, at least till next week
Peace Out
Bear

0 comments: