Monday, June 22, 2009

Is It Live Or Is It Memorex?

Last Monday I went to see the Eric Clapton-Steve Winwood show in Columbus and on the way down threw in the live CD from their Madison Square Garden reunion to pump me up for the concert. John Gorman had sent me a message that he thought this was one of the best Live CD’s he has ever heard and coming from a guy like John (or Dusty Street or Bill Lewis. When these people talk about music I listen to what they say), I went out and got it immediately. On the drive there and again on the way home I listened and especially after just hearing them live in concert, I had to agree with John, it is a great live album.

Then yesterday I was driving in the Jeep with the top down on one of our rare sunny Cleveland days when Peter Frampton’s “Show Me The Way” came on the radio and unlike the 1000 times since 1976 when it was released, I actually turned up the radio, instead of turning the station and listened closely to the song which came off what became a monster live album in 1976. I got to thinking what are the best live albums I have ever heard?

Now I think I need to clarify something for my readers. If I have a choice of a song in either the studio version or the live version, 99 out of 100 times I take the studio version. I love the feel and vibe of being at a live concert but the energy of the show and band rarely ever comes across for me on a CD or an album. I don’t usually sit there, close my eyes and imagine being at the concert but these albums for me do the best job of it.

Feel free to disagree but here is my list of the best Live Albums Of All Time and because I am the Bear my opinion counts (okay we really know it doesn't but I can dream!)

#10 Cheap Trick – At Budokan (1979) When this album came out I was like most people saying “who are these guys?” (c’mon admit it) I didn’t pay attention too much to Cheap Tricks first three album but when I heard “At Budokan” a switch went on. A very rare occurrence for me that a live album opened my eyes to a band I didn’t care about at all. “Hello There” kicks off the album and it rocks but “Ain’t That A Shame” and “Surrender” are a knockout one, two punch on the album.


#9 Stevie Ray Vaughan – Live At Carnegie Hall (1997) Recorded in 1984 and not released until after his death Live At Carnegie Hall shows Stevie at the top of his game. His guitar work especially on the opening song Scuttle Buttin’ grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let up. Add Jimmie Vaughan and Dr John to the mix for this concert and you have a special treat. This album really captures the talent and feel of Stevie.


#8 Van Morrison – It’s To Late To Stop Now (1973) Van is the original Blue Eyed Soul man and this album shows him at the peak of his career and he sounds great on it. “Into The Mystic”, “Caravan”, “These Dreams Of You”, “Domino”, I could go on and on of the songs that just jump off the album. Listen to “I Believe To My Soul” and tell me this is not as soulful as anything coming out of Staxx or Motown at the time.


#7 Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band – Live Bullet (1976) If you ever saw Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band in concert at their peak, you know this album caught it live. This is one that you not only hear the music come thru your speakers, you feel the energy especially on “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man” and “Get Out Of Denver” but the show stoppers for me are the beautiful “Travelin’ Man” and “Turn The Page”. This album was Bob and the boys at their best.


#6 Led Zeppelin – How The West Was Won (2003) One thing I can say about most of the early Led Zeppelin albums, thank god for re-masters but the one thing there was missing and that was a great live album that captured them best, on stage live and raw. How The West Was Won does just that. Originally recorded in 1972, this album showcases how strong Plant’s voice really was (listen to “Over The Hills And Far Away”) and Page guitar blasts (“Heartbreaker”) and as I’ve said before no one plays a heavier drum than Bonham (“Whole Lotta Love” all 23 minutes of it!). A great ballsy, bluesy, rock album and as close as you can get to hearing them live.


#5 The Allman Brothers – Live At The Filmore East (1971) This album is a Tom Dowd masterpiece. This seven song double album is a lesson in interplay between musicians on stage and how to do it right. Duane Allman (who I believe is the greatest guitarist ever, sorry folks) and Gregg Allman shine in the live setting especially Duane’s amazing work on “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” and “Stormy Monday”. This album shows if southern rock and blues had a baby, they would have named it The Allman Brothers.


#4 J. Geils Band – Live: Blow Your Face Out (1976) The quintessential live band is truly captured here. This album shows the energy of their live shows and again captures them at the peak of the career. The ultimate bar band of the 70’s put out a powerful album that you can actually feel the energy coming out of your speakers. Peter Wolf’s riffing on “Must Have Got Lost” brings the fun of their live show to you and just blows away the studio version. One of the most overlooked bands of the seventies shows why they were one of the best live bands of the time.


#3 Cream - Royal Albert Hall: London May 2-3-5-6 2005 (2005) To me, this is the Clapton live album everyone should own. After not playing together for forty years it is amazing how tight sounding the three of them were for these shows especially considering how reckless they were when they played originally. It’s also hard to believe but to me they sound better in their sixties than they did in their twenties. I think the reason I like this album so much is it forced Eric to step back into the spotlight and have to play more than he had in years and he is great on it. The power of this trio is still there and it comes thru on this album.


#2 Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison (1968) This album seemed to really galvanize the image of Johnny Cash in the sixties. There is rawness in this album that you can’t fake. Johnny playing to the prisoners of Folsom Prison (talk about a hard ticket to get!) and it seems the energy of Johnny and the band grew the longer they played and they fed off the audience and you can feel it in the recording. This album is rough, raw and fun just like you would imagine a Johnny Cash concert to be in the old days (especially if you were locked up!)


#1 Pink Floyd – Delicate Sound Of Thunder (1988) This album is overlooked by everyone it seems and was definitely bashed by the critics (especially those who sided with Roger when he left) and when you talk about a live Pink Floyd album the first one on everyone’s mind is Pulse but DSOT is a much better album in my opinion. The sound is richer and fuller, the band just seems tighter than they did on Pulse and the song selection is fantastic, it was like a greatest hits live album. This is not just one of my favorite live albums but one of my favorite albums period. “Learning To Fly” on this album played live is actually better than the studio version and I don’t say that often. The three remaining members of Pink Floyd were on a mission then to prove things and lucky for us they recorded it live.

Some honorable mentions:
Metallica – Live Shit: Binge & Purge (1993) A lot of people don’t but I like this album but the problem is no one is going to be able to capture the power of them live on a recording.


David Gilmour – Live in Gdansk (2008) I love this album. It shows David on what I believe to be his last tour ever and believe me, he was great on this tour (I saw him in Chicago) and this album shows why he’s one of the best.

Bob Marley And The Wailers – Live (1975) You feel the passion of Marley and really start to realize what musicians The Wailers were starting to become. This album’s version of No Woman, No Cry is reason enough to go out and get it. Listen to the audience sing along with Bob and try not to feel a part of it.

The Band – The Last Waltz (1978) This album would have made my Top Ten except I really live the video better but you can’t knock the album. It really shows how good they were.

Okay folks, that’s my list. Now let the calls, emails, and arguments start!

Nuff said, least till next week
Peace Out
Bear


Don’t forget to come out to the Beachland Ballroom Saturday June 27th for the Rock And Roll Flea Market. I’ll be there so stop by the booth and say hi.

0 comments: